Friday, December 11, 2009

Dinner Tonight: Club Sandwiches

Tonight was supposed to be a basketball practice night so I planned one of hubby's favorite easy meals, club sandwiches. I don't think these really justify a recipe, but I will discuss the ingredients since here in the Midwest there seems to be some confusion as to what constitutes a club sandwich. The way I was raised, club sandwiches were made with three layers of white or sourdough bread, roast turkey, lettuce, bacon, mayo and tomato. That's it. On 99% of menus around here, they include some variation of those ingredients, plus ham and cheese. I think the thought of ham and cheese on my club sandwich is quite unpleasant, but I suppose I shouldn't judge people that like it that way.
My favorite restaurant club sandwhich is Cheesecake Factory's, as they use all the correct ingredients and have yummy sourdough bread. Unfortunately we don't have access to reasonably-priced sourdough, so I use wheat (somewhere along the line I read we're suppose to be eating more whole grains so I try to substitute wheat products where I can and hubby doesn't seem to mind most of the time). I also use Miracle Whip Light instead of mayo, I like the tanginess and it's not as rich. I used to use turkey bacon instead of regular, but unfortunately one time I found a good deal on regular bacon and hubby remembered how much better it was than turkey so he strongly suggested I stop using the turkey. I imagine my arteries are quite displeased with this development.

------------------------------

Estimated cost of meal:

Bread: $.60
Turkey: $1.50
Bacon: $.60
Miracle Whip: $.20
Lettuce: $.40
Chips: $.50

Total: $3.80

Former Life Total: Dinner @ Cheesecake Factory: $30

Leaner Life Savings: $26.20 or 87%!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment