Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dinner Tonight: Baked French Toast


I had really high hopes for this dinner, but unfortunatly it did not live up to them. In the past, I have always burned French toast and it never turns out that well. When I stumbled across a recipe that suggested baking it instead of pan-frying or using a griddle, I thought that could be the solution to all of my problems! I started by making a custard with milk, eggs, sugar, syrup, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Then, I drenched the slices of French bread in the custard and let sit in a buttered casserole dish "overnight" or in my case all day while I was at work.
The recipe said to bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, flip the pieces over and cook another 4 minutes. After I took them out to flip them, I could see the bread was still very soggy and the first side was not golden brown and crusty like I had hoped. I cooked for 10 minutes instead of 4 but it was still quite soggy. I needed to leave the house to get to a baby shower and didn't have time to wait for it to cook longer, so I ended up transferring it to a pan on the stovetop to try to crisp up the edges. This helped a bit but it was still way too soggy.
It was a valiant effort to try something new, but I think in the future we'll just have to stick to regular French toast. The flavor of the custard was actually really tasty, so I will be using similar ingredients, though probably leaving out the syrup as hubby said it was a bit too sweet for his taste.
I served with bacon and orange juice, our breakfast staples.

---------------------------------

Estimated cost of meal

Bread: $.75
Milk: $.20
Eggs: $.25
Seasonings: $.50
Bacon: $1.25
OJ: $.25

Total: $3.20

Former life total: Breakfast @ Gomer's: $18

Leaner Life Savings: $14.80 or 82%!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment