Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dinner Tonight: Bacon-Wrapped Beef & Baked Potatoes


Tonight I finally decided to cook the bacon-wrapped beef filets I got a few weeks ago with a great coupon - they were only $.98 for a 2-pack. I served them with baked potatoes (giant ones because the filets were only 5 oz including "solution" so I wanted to make sure we'd have enough to eat), bread & asparagus for me - picky hubby won't touch any vegetables other than corns or green beans.
The beef filets were okay - nothing spectacular. I don't think I'd ever pay full price for them ($3.98) as I'd rather just pay $4.99 for strip steaks on sale, but for $.98 they were definitely worth it. They were a little tricky to cook as the bacon tried to slip off of one of them, and I don't like soggy bacon so I tried to cook them on all sides which is difficult since they are round! They were also plenty filling even without eating about half of the giant potato.
I tried steaming my asparagus - a bit tricky since I don't have a steamer. I tried to rig my colander into a pot but it wasn't too successful. I ended up microwaving it to get it to the tenderness I like. I season with butter, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt & pepper. It was yummy but made way too much and then forgot to put the extra in the fridge and didn't discover it until the next day :(

--------------------------------

Estimated cost of meal

Steaks: $.98
Potatoes: $1.50
Bread: $.80
Asparagus: $2

Total: $5.28

Former life total: Dinner @ Outback: $30

Leaner Life Savings: $24.72 or 82%!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment