Sunday, December 20, 2009

Dinner Tonight: Beef Fried Rice & Crab Rangoon


Well, I finally made this meal and unfortunately it was pretty disappointing. The crab rangoon were just not what I had hoped - the wontons were crispy on top but the bottoms weren't done enough. Granted, I didn't cook them as long as I was supposed to but I was afraid the tops were going to burn. I also felt that they were too rich and had too much crab, but that's because I'm used to Midwestern crab rangoon which is about 99% cream cheese and 1% crab meat. I really should have only made half a recipe - even if we'd liked them we wouldn't have needed 12 of them!
The rice was okay - I used a Hamburger Helper mix and it was easy to make and the texture was fine, but it didn't really have much Asian flavor. Hubby commented that it tasted a lot like the dirty rice mix I use. Overall I don't think either of these will be keepers. After the resounding success of the chimichangas, I guess they can't all be winners.

-----------------------------------

Estimated cost of meal

Beef: $2
Hamburger Helper: $1.50
Eggs: $.25
Wontons: $.50
Cream Cheese: $.60
Crab: $2
Scallions: $.25
Mayo: $.25

Total: $7.35

Former life total: Dinner @ Panda Express: $18

Leaner Life Savings: $10.65 or 59%!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment