Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Dinner Tonight: Tacos


Have I mentioned that I hate snow? I really, really do. For some reason this year it just keeps snowing and it's getting really old. This time we are expecting around 4 or 5 inches, on top of the 6 inches or so that still hasn't melted from the last couple of storms. One of these days the temperatures might be above freezing long enough to melt something, but it doesn't look like that will be anytime soon.
Sorry, enough with my off-topic weather ranting. Tonight we had tacos. Normally I would use Lawry's taco seasoning but I couldn't find it at several stores this weekend and decided not to venture out in the blizzard tonight to look at the one store I think might carry it. So, I made some myself. I combined chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, sugar, salt, pepper & corn starch together. I had the recipe on a sticky note from the last time I made my own seasoning. I have fond memories of the previous experience, but this time it didn't turn out quite as well as I hoped. It was perfectly edible though and surely much cheaper than buying the premade packets.
We almost always eat soft flour tacos in our house as hubby prefers them and they are sold in much more reasonable quantities than the corn ones. The ones I bought this time said they were soft taco sized but felt really huge once I actually made my taco. I ended up rolling it and eating it like a burrito.
We stuff ours with meat, cheese, lettuce & optional sour cream and salsa (omitted this time). I serve with refried beans and Chipotle-style cilantro lime rice. A very simple, quick and satisfying meal.

--------------------------

Estimated cost of meal:

Beef: $1.60
Tortillas: $.70
Beans: $.60
Rice: $.80
Cheese: $.25
Seasonings: $.25
Sour Cream: $.10
Lettuce: $.10

Total: $4.40

Former life total: Dinner @ Taco Bell: $12

Leaner Life Savings: $7.60 or 63%!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment