Monday, January 4, 2010

Dinner Tonight: Chicken & tortellini salad


Sometimes I have high hopes for things and then they are pretty much failures - tonight was one of those times. This is a new recipe for us, but it's based on something my mom makes just about every time she has a dinner party. She uses a basic vinaigrette dressing recipe (oil, malt vinegar, sugar, salt & dijon mustard) and puts a salad together from the salad bar. She uses a mix of Romaine and iceberg lettuce, sliced radishes, zucchini, celery, mozzarella cheese, blue cheese & cheese tortellini picked out of one of the pre-made salads. Sometimes she adds bacon, scallions and croutons, all of which I added tonight along with some red onion. My plan was to grill some chicken and add it to the salad, but I forgot to thaw it so I had to buy it from the salad bar too. I inadvertently made way too much but had already put the dressing on so it didn't make good leftovers. Hubby had surgery this morning and hardly ate anything as he was in pain and it hurt to chew. I also burned the bread, so he wouldn't have even been able to enjoy it if he hadn't been in pain!
We made this because I thought it would be good to add more salads to our menu choices and hubby loves it when my mom serves this one, but I think in the future we will just leave it to her and keep it as a side dish. We will keep trying over the next few weeks until we find a salad that will work better for us, other than the two we already make on a regular basis (Asian chicken and chicken caesar).

-----------------------------------

Estimated cost of meal:

Chicken: $2.50 (from salad bar, would have been around $1.50 had I made at home)
Lettuce: $.75 (Dole bagged salad mix on sale less coupon!)
Toppings: Free! (would have been $4.59 but I earned a free salad with my frequent shopper's card)
Bread: $.80

Total: $4.05

Former life total: Dinner @ Houlihan's (they make a yummy chicken salad): $35

Leaner Life Savings: $30.95 or 88%

No comments:

Post a Comment