Monday, January 25, 2010

Dinner Tonight: Steak Fajitas

This is one of the few recipes I make from Rachael Ray's original 30 Minute Meals cookbook.  For some reason, when she did it for her TV show (and then posted online), the ingredients changed drastically.  I'm not sure how someone's favorite recipe could be modified so much, but I am sticking with the original, which I was able to find online here.
Generally I call these "steak soft tacos" since hubby doesn't like fajitas and doesn't seem to care that if you leave out the veggies they are pretty much the same thing.  This time I decided to go ahead and make the veggies for myself, and I'm really glad I did. They were very yummy!  For some reason, the recipe tasted a lot spicier than usual.  This could be that I added too much hot sauce, or the fact that I used Pace hot picante sauce on mine.  The sweetness of the peppers helped offset the spiciness a bit.
Sidebar, I got the salsa for free by playing the Pace "Hand-Pick and Win" game here.  Actually, I ended up being paid $1.75 to buy the salsa since the coupon was for $4 off and instead of reducing the value to the price of the salsa ($2.25) my Target checker just pushed the whole coupon through.  Gotta love that.


-------------------------------------


Estimated cost of meal:


Steak: $2.50
Tortillas: $.75
Peppers: $.80
Onion: $.20
Marinade: $.60
Sour cream: $.10
Salsa: Free!
Rice: $.80
Beans: $.55
Total: $6.30

Former life total: Dinner @ Jalapenos: $33

Leaner Life Savings: $26.70 or 81%!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment