Monday, February 8, 2010

Dinner Tonight: Smokestack

Sometimes the habits of my former life are just really hard to break.  Tonight, I gave into them and we had take-out for dinner.  This isn't the first time this has happened, and it probably won't be the last.  There were some contributing factors as to why I decided not to cook.
  1. French fries - the crispy, crunchy, delicious little devils.  They tempt me from afar.  Today at work someone had some - I never even saw them but could smell them wafting through the hallways.  Even when I thought I was going to cook dinner I had briefly considered stopping at McDonald's on the way home.  Why can't I resist them? 
  2. I worked about an hour later than usual. In my former life this was a normal occurrence, and of course in my former life I didn't cook for the greater part of two years, so the trigger of later hours let the old ways slip right back in. 
  3. I was tired and cranky.  Wait, am I always that way?  Not sure if that's a valid excuse.
  4. The kitchen was still dirty from last night's meal.  It wasn't that bad but I was frustrated because I thought I didn't have a clean cutting board.
So, with the combination of all of the above, we went to our old standby, the BBQ place right down the street.  I called in the order, waited a few minutes, went to pick it up and was back home to eat in less than 20 minutes.  Hubby was even frustrated that dinner was ready too early, since he had a plan for our TV watching for the evening.
It may be from a fry-induced delirium, but I have composed a Shakesperian soliloquy inspired by my beloved Smokestack:

O Smokestack, Smokestack, wherefore art though Smokestack?
Deny thy calories and refuse thy expensiveness
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love and I'll no longer live a leaner life

Ok, that's all I remember from the memorization exercise in 9th grade English. 

1 comment:

Jordyn said...

Everybody needs a night off. Besides, all your recipes seem so healthy and make up for one splurge night.

aqua15cat@yahoo.com

Post a Comment