Monday, February 1, 2010

Dinner Tonight: Drumsticks with macaroni & cheese

I'm not even sure I want to write about this meal it was such a disaster.  Hubby absolutely hated the chicken, and his reaction to it pretty much ruined the meal for me too.  He was very disappointed because he thought it looked like yummy comfort food but thought it tasted like deviled eggs.  The mustard/mayo mixture used to coat the chicken just didn't sit well with him.  He wished I had just used Shake and Bake, which I guess I will have to do next time since I still have 5 more drumsticks in the freezer that we have to eat someday.  On the bright side, this meal was pretty cheap so at least I don't feel like I wasted a lot of money on all the chicken that got thrown away.
It's times like this when I question trying new things, but I have to remind myself that for almost every recipe that we hate, we find one that we like, such as the chimichangas we're having again later this week. 
The macaroni and cheese was a boxed mix from Annie's and it tasted okay.  It was really thin and I had to put it back on the stove to get some of the liquid to evaporate.  The green beans were good as they always are, but bacon makes everything better.  We also had some Grands biscuits, which were pretty much the only thing serving to fill me up later in the evening.

-----------------------------------------

Estimated cost of meal

Chicken: $1.35
Breading: $1
Mac & cheese: $1.20
Green beans: $.75
Biscuits: $.75

Total: $5.05

Former life total: Dinner @ Cracker Barrel: $23

Leaner Life Savings: $17.95 or 78%!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment