Friday, February 19, 2010

Dinner Tonight: Biscuits & Gravy

Do you hear that sound?  Kind of like sludge moving through a pipe?  That, folks, is the sound of my arteries clogging.  Thanks to the magic of blog archives, I can tell that it's been exactly one month since I last made biscuits and gravy, which is good because at least we aren't eating it every week or two as hubby would like. 
Don't get me wrong - I like this meal too.  It's very yummy.  And very fattening, which I don't really need a lot of help with at the moment.  I might have tried to refuse to cook it tonight, but resistance is futile.  Why?  Well, there's this little thing called the Coupon Book.
I don't think I've mentioned the Coupon Book on my blog before, so I'll tell you about it.  You see, last November after I lost my job and got scared that we would end up penniless, I started couponing.  A little obsessively.  So much so that hubby jokingly referred to me as The Coupon Nazi. 
Along came Christmas, and I was feeling guilty that I couldn't get him as nice of gifts as I usually would.  My brilliant idea?  A play on the coupons, his very own coupon book!  Now, I didn't want it to be quite like the cheesy ones you see that say good for "one free kiss" or "one free hug" or anything like that.  I decided to try to make it my own.
Thus ensued a ridiculously time-consuming craft project that, well, pretty much looked like a craft project.  It took many hours on multiple days to complete, involving designing, cutting, gluing and even sewing - I used a sewing machine to make perforated pages so they'd be easier to tear out.
I was feeling dejected and stupid for getting myself into the whole thing, thinking that hubby would just think it was pretty dumb and make fun of me for spending so much time on it. 
Much to my surprise, he actually loved it!  Or at least pretended to in order to protect my fragile feelings.  Whichever. 
Anyway, I tried to come up with creative coupons for things that were specific to him.  One of these is a monthly "Biscuits & Gravy" coupon.  He has 12 of these puppies he can redeem any time he wants throughout the year.  Therefore, if he suggests biscuits & gravy when we are meal planning, who am I to argue?  I'm the one who gave him the coupons in the first place! 

The Coupon Book
The B&G Coupon (check out my mad clip art insertion skills)

No comments:

Post a Comment